MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WIAT) — Alabama State Senator David Burkett has officially resigned, according to Gov. Kay Ivey’s Office.
Burkett turned in a resignation letter Tuesday saying it was “effective immediately.”
Gov. Ivey’s Office released a statement on the senator’s decision:
“Governor Ivey is disappointed, but firmly supports the rule of law, and particularly in this situation when there has been a clear misuse of public trust.”
Press Secretary Gina Maiola
Burkett has represented District 26 of the Alabama Senate since 2018. Why he decided to resign has not been announced.
No other information has been released at this time.
- State Senator David Burkett resigns
- Downtown Athens rewarding its community for shopping local
- A year after Elkmont shooting left 5 dead, uncertainty surrounds teen suspect’s fate
- Limestone County Schools introduce pep bands
- Mexican consulates in US emphasizing workers’ rights this week
Read MoreWHNT.comAlabama News, News